Date/Time: 07/03/2019 11:00 - 17:00
The Norwegian Centre for Humanitarian Studies (NCHS) – a CMI, NUPI and PRIO collaboration – has received funding from the Norwegian Research Council’s NORGLOBAL program, to create an active network connecting relevant ongoing research on humanitarian efforts, in Norway and internationally. With this, we aim to create a platform for exchange among researchers, and establish stronger and more tailored mechanisms for mutual exchanges with policy makers and practitioners, as well as the broader public.
The kick-off meeting for this network will be held on 7 March 2019 at PRIO, from lunch time until evening, rounding off with a social gathering.
In the kick-off meeting, the planned activities and thematic pillars of the network will be introduced, and we will discuss how individual researchers and relevant research projects can use the network as a platform for collaboration and dissemination. The thematic pillars are:
- Pillar I: The Humanitarian-Security-Development Nexus
- Pillar II: New Actors, Humanitarian Governance and Innovation
- Pillar III: Humanitarianism and Health
- Pillar IV: Humanitarianism and Refugee Protection
- Pillar V: Humanitarianism and Gender
These pillars will function as thematic entry points for discussing current challenges and dilemmas, and where there is need for better knowledge and more research.
The kick-off meeting is by invitation only, interested researchers or practitioners are asked to visit this site for sign-up information.
11:30 – 12:00 | Registration and lunch served
12:00 – 12:30| Welcome and introduction to the Research network
- Welcome speech, Henrik Urda, Director of PRIO
- Introduction to the Research network, Maria Gabrielsen Jumbert, PRIO and Director NCHS, Antonio De Lauri, CMI and co-Director NCHS, Stein Sundstøl Eriksen, NUPI and co-Director NCHS
12:30 – 13:30 | Keynote talk on the future of humanitarian studies
“Unravelling humanitarian concepts – From divergent meanings to a common understanding”, by Doris Schopper, Professor at the medical faculty of the University of Geneva and Director of Geneva Centre for education and research in humanitarian action, CERAH
13:30 – 13:45 | Coffee break
13:45– 15:45 | Network pillars: introductions and discussions
Chaired by Kristoffer Lidén, PRIO and Deputy Director NCHS
- Pillar I: The Humanitarian-Security-Development Nexus – introduced by Cedric de Coning (NUPI)
- Pillar II: New Actors, Humanitarian Governance and Innovation – introduced by Cindy Horst (PRIO)
- Pillar III: Humanitarianism and Health – introduced by Henrik Urdal (PRIO)
- Pillar IV: Humanitarianism and Refugee Protection – introduced by Arne Strand (CMI)
- Pillar V: Humanitarianism and Gender – introduced by Torunn Wimpelmann (CMI)
15:45 – 16:00 | Break
16:00 – 17:00 | Group discussions on network activities with refreshments
17:00 | Social gathering and dinner